Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Ruff-ing It.


For me?

In my previous life I didn't get to get up on the furniture, but after 5 months in a shelter, my new Mom let me up on the couch.  I kept getting down as I didn't think I was supposed to be up there, but she said it was OK and gave me pats.  It's so soft but I only sneak up there when Mom and Dad aren't on it.

I have my own little dog bed where Mom stays when she is working.  It's sure more comfy than the hard floor of of a kennel, but it was cheap and it's not real poofy-nothing like "THE BED".

Today a big box came to Mom's work crash pad.  Mom said it was from Orvis as they had a sale-- a BIG sale and she got something for almost half price. Barkley had an Orvis bed and just loved it  and it lasted forever, but she wanted me to have one of my own.  Want to check out their great dog beds? Click on the well-known name. . .


It's the world's biggest softest dog bed!  It's so fluffy, with really tight stitching and a durable, ultra-soft cover.  When she took it out of the wrapping-- it expanded like a life raft.
Mom knows about that.  Once she was flying an airplane (a little business jet) to India to be delivered from the aeroplane factory.   Three of the VERY young Indian pilots were on board.  They didn't have the experience yet to make that sort of trip so the owners arranged for the seller to deliver it with contract pilots (which was Mom and another pilot) and bring them home from plane school.

They were QUITE excited about the flight and about just learning to fly their first jet so Mom and her copilot told them to just read and relax in the back and  "don't touch anything".

Halfway across the Atlantic there's this big  WHOOOSH sound from the cabin and one of them ran forward  with -

"Captain L! Captain L!  Raft Veery BIG!, Raft, Veery BIG.!"

Yup - they'd accidentally inflated the life raft and Mom had to kill it with a cheese knife from the galley so they could exit the airplane when they all landed to fuel.
MMMM Cheese.

So, it was sort of like that.  Bed very big!  Bed very big! Look - my tail has gone hypersonic!

My Ovris bed is SOOOO COMFY!

I can't believe it's all mine all the time and I don't have to sleep on the Pita Bed from Walmart any more.
I love my Mom.
Abby Lab

12 comments:

  1. We love the VERY BIG RAFT story... butt we are THRILLED to hear that you got this FABULOUS new Bed... WOW it must be Wonderful... You are one LUCKY DAWG fur SURE. ENJOY it... Sleep WELL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for sales from Orvis! I am happy you have a nice bed now at the crash pad, Miss Abby.

    Shiloh, Indy and Ranger all say to tell you HI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to be loved and showered with stuffs and treat....much better then them stoopid shelters....enjoy that puffy bed and have a wonderful nappie poo!

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby, that is a beautiful bed! It looks very comfortable. You have a great mom, and thank goodness for sales at Orvis.
    I hope your mom scolded those pilots!
    Albert

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look very happy with your new BIG bed Abby! Love the raft story!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh comfy! We're allowed on the couch as long as we stay on our blanket.

    Good story, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So your mom is a raft killer huh? BOL! We think your bed looks very nice!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lucky doggie! I don't see the point of having dogs if they can't be on the furniture with me, but my pups like their doggie beds too. Glad you have options as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow now that is a giant bed! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, we too are BOL at your Mom's raft story! She needs to write a book containing all these crazy stories. Our Mom would love to read it. It sounds like she is an awesome Mom especially for finding such a great bed at an even greater price. Leaves money left over for treats, right? We are not allowed on the furniture but neither of us really likes getting on it anyway since we have always had comfy beds and pads. We were never in a shelter but we were out on the street with no one to care for us and now we both hate thunderstorms and fireworks but Mom and Dad comfort us when they happen. Cheers to you, Abby. Have a nice comfy nap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frankie Furter and Ernie - it is such a soft bed, and Mom took me to the groomers and got me all prettied up and now I'm as soft as the bed. Nap!

    Monkeywrangler - Mom says she has the feeling she will be hauling this back and forth to home on her days off. My bed up there is better than the Wal Mart Pita Bed, but it's not a nice as this one!

    Susie and Sidebite - Stoopid Shelter indeed. I'm so happy to have a home.

    Albert - I love my bed. Mom told me once she got on the PA system in a plane when some folks in the back were being obnoxious and said in her best Captain Mom voice "don't make me turn this plane around!"

    IdahoPugRanch - I'm a very lucky dog.

    Whitley Westie - I like that you can get it in all sizes from little dogs to big dogs.

    CLW Step - Mom's couch here is leather so it' easy to clean so I'm on it a lot so I can look out the window This is better for sleepies though.

    Murphy and Stanley - thanks!

    Kari - thank for stopping. I get up on the bed in the morning to snoot Mom awake after Dad takes me out she's always the last one out of bed.

    2browndawgs - Woof!

    Karen - Mom said she was lucky to have not just 1, but 2 really good careers all with their own stories. After retirement I bet there's some more stories to be told when she has some free time.

    Abby Lab

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on Abby the Senior rescue Lab,who we adopted in 2014.

Stop in and say hello. 100% of book sales are donated to animal rescue organizations across the U.S. and Canada and Search Dog Foundation. If you have a non-profit animal organization and would like autographed copies of the book for fundraisers or a blog post featuring your organization please contact me at cliodna58@gmail.com