Monday, May 11, 2015

For Michelle - In Memory of Goose

"When I as 18, and lost my lifelong companion, Sally - with me since birth, a small black and white cocker mix... my best and sometimes only friend, my soul-mate... She loved me, I believe more perfectly than I could ever have loved her in my inexperience. When she was 18 she died and I grieved and I cried and I still get tears in my eyes when I think of that sweet little soul who gave me so much. 

So, no, you never get over it, I do not know anyone who has loved a dog and has said goodbye that gets over it. The pain? As you know, it eases, it becomes sweet memory with time, you still get tears in your eyes, but the smiles and laughter at the remembered fun and antics of your 4-legged Pal returns to you.

My mother is part Iroquois, and although a lifelong Catholic carried with her some of the mythology handed down in her family. She knew my grief was raw and painful and that only time would help heal the wound in my heart. She said to me "Sally walks with you, and with time, she will allow you to feel her there beside you. During the first time of grief, you are blind to her, and that is as it should be, so she will know she is no longer in This World, but now walks in the Spirit World. When you are ready, she will help ease your pain by showing you memories, and helping you laugh again when you are ready to see that she is not lost to you, but always remains a part of you. Your tears will then be tears of joy at your good fortune at having known such a one."

 - From "The Book of Barkley - Love and Life Through the Eyes of a Labrador Retriever".
Our sunset as Abby and I went out back behind our little home and raised a toast to Goose.

12 comments:

  1. That was a lovely post and tribute to both Goose and Sally.
    Wally & Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mothers words are just beautiful, very comforting for all of us who have lost furfriends
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to Michelle on her loss of Goose. In time,as she allows other 4 legged souls into her heart, Goose will show himself to her through their actions at times. Around here we call it 'channelling their inner Charlie".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this will really help Michelle. It sure helped me. So often I think of that first puppy I got when I was only 2 years old. Her name was Ginger and she was always there with me, helping me ease the pain of "growing up". I was a teenager when she crossed that Bridge and I grieved for her for such a long time. She's been gone for over 50 years now but if I close my eyes, I can still feel her fur. We never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE know that Goose is "THERE".
    Our hearts are heavy with the loss butt LIGHT with the Joy he brought to Miss Michelle and to US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goose was a wonderful fella. We are proud to have known him in the furs.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goose is really gonna be be missed...we always read his Sunday post....even though we didn't always comment....it was a great way to start a Sunday.....but we know that every time we find a stick....Goose will be there watching us to made sure we take good care of it........We miss Goose!

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are absolutely right about that! We still miss Charisma and Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our hearts go out to Michelle in her loss of Goose and I so appreciate you all stopping to say hello to Mom and I.

    We'll be there for her as she needs us, to heal, to laugh as only Blogville can laugh, and to share the memories and the tears.

    Abby Lab

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pawsum tribute.... and so very true...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks for this post. My tears were running, but I enjoyed every word...
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on Abby the Senior rescue Lab,who we adopted in 2014.

Stop in and say hello. 100% of book sales are donated to animal rescue organizations across the U.S. and Canada and Search Dog Foundation. If you have a non-profit animal organization and would like autographed copies of the book for fundraisers or a blog post featuring your organization please contact me at cliodna58@gmail.com