Friday, April 8, 2016

When a Stranger Calls - Abby Lab Gets a Fright


Many of you remember this movie - the original one in 1979 that scared the pants off of me as a young woman who still did a lot of babysitting during that time. The trailer above is from the remake

I preferred the original to the remake, but then again, I loved the original "The Fog" and hated the remake which should have titled "Gucci models are menaced by a walking piece of bad Tilipia". But in a nutshell - cute teen babysitter sitting in a swanky house, the kids asleep upstairs (because we know all kids are instantly asleep at 7 PM when Mom and Dad leave for cocktails) gets more and more menacing phone calls, finally calling the police (who trace the call in like 60 seconds using "Criminal Minds" technology )who inform her where the calls are originating from.

 "It's coming from inside the house!"  GASP!
My husband was on the road all week. I never advertise that he is gone, until he's back, but the house was too quiet with him away and I made sure the extra bolts we have on all outside doors were secure and  the bolts that keep someone from coming up from the basement, should they come in through the basement windows, were latched into the floor joist and the door frame.  It's a quiet neighborhood but it IS a very large city, so I keep our Bungalow secure, my big black 4 x 4 truck left out of the garage in the drive so it's obvious some cranky redneck is home (that would be me).
Stuffies - inexpensive burglar tripping tools

Before my husband left on his business trip, he took Abby on a walk and came back with a funny story. Apparently, as they rounded a corner, there, by someone's trash was an old baby seat, which was being thrown out. Abby laid her ears back, frightened and suddenly tried to get to the other side of the street.  It was the baby chair that frightened her.  He could NOT get her to walk down the sidewalk past it.  We are not sure if in the gloom it looked like a predatory animal or she had a bad experience with one in her past, but she was NOT getting near it.

When we took a walk the next day, it was gone but Abby was still skittish around that spot.
Home, after my husband called from his hotel, I watched the 2006 remake of When a Stranger Calls. I probably shouldn't do that when I'm alone, because then I'll then jump at every little noise and have every light on in the house, even though our house is pretty boogyman proof (and I have a large caliber service weapon that works much better than a slingshot and an angry hamster).

But what if the phone rings.

Ring Ring.

Heavy Breathing.

"Abby Lab - Run -   It's Coming From  Inside the House!!!"

10 comments:

  1. My mom is NEVER brave enough to watch scary shows alone or wif dad. stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMD OMD Abby you and your mom BOTH.... SCARED YOUR LITTLE SELVES...
    We are Glad that the MR. is home to PAWTECT his WiMMEN. Just Sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankie - I wish you were her to pawtect me too! If someone broke in we could bark and fling Ernie poo at him!

      Abby Lab

      Delete
  3. BOL....Mama still remembers being scared from the 1979 version of When a Stranger calls. We think that seat is a bit scary too, Abby!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha - Lightning is not surprised at all. He is afraid of so many of the weirdest things, like signs on the walkway advertising open houses with balloons tied to them, workman orange cones, flying plastic bags, men in baseball hats, and the worst is bikes!!! Our Mom says she would love to know what goes on inside Lightning's furry head:)

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMD, Ma has seen all those versions!!! (okays, not the new one of course...) butts she loves those scary movies, and she is one of those who yell at the screen...'DON'T GO IN THERE!!!! idiot. I told you so....' Yes, you do not wants to go to the theater with Ma.....Anyhu, I too gets spooked when there is somethings freaky new on my walkie! I gots freaked out once by a traffic cone. shhhh...don't tells anyone....
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom never watches anything scary if Dad is not home
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved john carpenters Fog. I watched it at my friends house and went home in the middle of the night. There was a drunken guy who slept in our entrance... I stumbled over him and screamed like a banshee... that night I slept in my parents bedroom on an air mattress :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We saw Phantasm in the theater, (long time ago) then I had to spend the night by myself in our house. Bad, bad, timing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BOL! Why do I let Toby bark like a maniac when someone comes to the door? You can train him not to do that, right?
    It's because my husband travels on business too. And I so relate to everything you said in this post. Years ago my students very kindly told me about a movie I would LOVE. So I watched it…and slept every night with the lights on until my husband came home.
    It was "The Ring". The exact kind of movie that scares the bejesus out of me. I will not be watching any more scary movies when I'm alone!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on Abby the Senior rescue Lab,who we adopted in 2014.

Stop in and say hello. 100% of book sales are donated to animal rescue organizations across the U.S. and Canada and Search Dog Foundation. If you have a non-profit animal organization and would like autographed copies of the book for fundraisers or a blog post featuring your organization please contact me at cliodna58@gmail.com