Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Hair-Raising Days

I head (no pun intended) to the hair stylist about every four-five weeks as my hair grows beyond fast.   Usually, though, the visit is after my work day, the salon being open until 9 PM. I give my regular stylist a lot of credit.  My hair is baby fine, curly (I refer to it as "free range") and well, red. I won't mention the few strands of grey and trying to match that.  It's the hair stylist equivalent of  juggling knives.

I went in this week for a hair cut and some "natural highlights" which involve a  transfer of cash similar to ransom, and an hour and a half with enough foil on my head to attract a number of  conspiracy theory admirers.

I also went in without lunch or dinner due to the day I had at work.  I figured that I could grab some takeout on the way home as my husband was out of town and I hadn't planned on cooking, Abby Lab was being walked a couple of times and fed by my dogwalker due to the long day so she was taken care of.

As my stylist did the trim, I had a ladies magazine on my lap, with my reading glasses off,  as the beautiful genius that does my hair  finished up the cut and blow dry.

Did I mention that when I hit 50  I had to get "reading glasses"and anything just a  foot a way is a bit blurry? First it was the pages at Bible study, then mailboxes, and soon I was looking through the rack for "readers" with all the other grandmothers.

The magazine I was reading at the salon had a colorful picture of a bowl of soup in it.  I started to get really hungry  It looked SO good and that bagel and apple and coffee at 6 a.m.were distant history. I think I drooled on the page. The lady in the next chair over mentioned that, looking quite perplexed when I said "I SO want a bowl of that."   I couldn't wait  until I was free of sculpting gel and a dryer to stop at the gourmet grocers for some of that, the broth, the succulent chicken, perhaps some shrimp,while I curled up with a glass of expensive white wine and Bach.

Then I put my glasses on.
I'd been drooling over cat food. Friskies Fancy Feast no less.

After that,  I stopped  McDonald's for a Filet O Fish and the liquor store for bottle of white wine, just grabbing one from their "pick of the week" display as I was tired.   When I got home and tried to open it with the wine opener and I couldn't puncture the top I realized it was a twist off cap.

Filet O'Fish and McWine.

Maybe I should have just gone for the cat food.

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Hehe... even knowing what it is, I'd still say it looks like a goer!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our mom knows exactly what you are talking about. She and dad can't see in front of their noses either. And some of that cat food is pretty tasty we hear!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom Kim here - no wonder that other lady sitting by you looked the way she did when you said you so wanted a bowl of that - he he.
    That's like when I go grocery shopping with my sis - she is ALWAYS reminding me to pay attention to what I pick up; so yesterday when she went by herself, she picks up some CHERRY Pepsi instead of her usual regular Pepsi - and I'm the one with the vision problems?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haa ahaa! this made mom laugh!
    hugs
    Mr BAiley, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair is really pretty. stella rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I use this handmade shampoo and conditioner from an Etsy store (WAY cheaper than salon and less harsh than drugstore) that's made a huge difference in how soft and shiny my hair is, especially since coloring it. The lady that runs it is a Vet tech big into animal rescue - how I found her. https://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps

      Delete
  6. I've had to wear glasses most of my life so my vision is probably much worse than yours. I've had a couple of instances at my hair dressers where someone was standing behind me and looking into the mirror at me and speaking to me. I didn't answer them because I couldn't tell that they were looking at me. From that distance, with my glasses off, there was no eye contact possible. All I can see is a flesh colored blob and most of the time I thought they were talking to the hair dresser. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. McWine. Oh yeah, I know what you're saying. I have a devil of a time using that corkscrew on the boxes.

    Fair Winds!

    Cap'n Jan
    9 months until freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ghostwriter used to spend many Saturday afternoons getting her hair colored. Now she finally let the gray take over. She figures she earned it! Personally I can't tell the difference! She says her bifocals are a badge of honor too.

    We got a fancy can of doggie food once that had all kinds of things like shrimp, squid, and little fishies. Hated it!!!! Neither Joey dog nor I would go anywhere near it. The kitty cats can have it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *snort* oh that is so hilarious! What a funny story - I bet that lady you showed the pic too had a good laugh over her own beverage later :D Every word you say about the sorcery some hairdressers can do is true. Mine is a 26 year old man and he's the very best.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on Abby the Senior rescue Lab,who we adopted in 2014.

Stop in and say hello. 100% of book sales are donated to animal rescue organizations across the U.S. and Canada and Search Dog Foundation. If you have a non-profit animal organization and would like autographed copies of any of my three books for auction fundraisers or a blog post featuring your organization please contact me at cliodna58@gmail.com