Monday, March 27, 2017

Ruffing It - An Abby Lab Rescue Memory


For me?

Abby the Lab here.

In my previous life I didn't get to get up on the furniture and was outside in the cold a lot but after 5 months in a shelter, my new Mom let me up on the couch.  I kept getting down as I didn't think I was supposed to be up there, but she said it was OK and gave me pats.  It's so soft but I only sneak up there when Mom and Dad aren't on it.

I have my own little dog bed where Mom used to stay when she was working.  It's sure more comfy than the hard floor of  a kennel, but it was cheap and it's not real poofy - nothing like "THE BED", but Mom keeps the bedroom door closed when she is at work as she has a fancy schmancy bedspread on there that is hard to clean.

Then one day, a big box came to Mom's work crash pad.  Mom said it was from Orvis as they had a sale-- a BIG sale and she got something for almost half price. Barkley had an Orvis bed and just loved it and it lasted forever, but she wanted me to have one of my own.  Want to check out their great dog beds? Click on the well-known name. . .


It's the world's biggest softest dog bed!  It's so fluffy, with really tight stitching and a durable, ultra-soft cover.  When she took it out of the wrapping-- it expanded like a life raft.
Mom knows about that.  Once she was flying an airplane (a little business jet) to India to be delivered from the aeroplane factory.   Three of the VERY young Indian pilots were on board.  They didn't have the experience yet to make that sort of trip so the owners arranged for the seller to deliver it with contract pilots (which was Mom and another pilot) and bring them home from plane school. Regulations required that for a flight across the ocean the plane had to have a rented life raft to be carried in the cabin to be pitched out of the plane and inflated if Mom had to pull a "Sully".

The young Indian pilot  were QUITE excited about the flight and about just learning to fly their first jet so Mom and her copilot told them to just read and relax in the back and  "don't touch anything".

Halfway across the Atlantic there's this big  WHOOOSH sound from the cabin and one of them ran forward  with -

"Captain L! Captain L!  Raft Veery BIG!, Raft, Veery BIG.!"

Yup - they'd accidentally inflated the life raft and Mom had to kill it with a cheese knife from the galley so they could exit the airplane when they all landed to fuel.
MMMM Cheese.

So, it was sort of like that.  Bed very big!  Bed very big! Look - my tail has gone hypersonic!

My Ovris bed is SOOOO COMFY!

I can't believe it's still all mine all the time and I don't have to sleep on the Pita Bed from Walmart anymore.  I love my furever home.
I love my Mom.
Abby Lab

13 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    OMD Abby - even I would love a bed like that... you truly are blessed to have landed at this pawticular pad!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have a pawsome bed. The raft story is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The life raft story. "accidentally inflated." Good thing I had put down the coffee cup. It reminds me of the stories that start with, "But Chief! I was just standing there and ...."
    Abby looks very happy and I am starting my day with a big smile, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abby, thanks for sharing this post. Great pictures, I particuarly like the first and last ones. Hope you have a real tail-wagger of a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a totally pawesome bed! It's so wonderful when we find our REAL home and learn all about how grreat life can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bed is VERY BIG....and looks like it could float. We're so glad that your family found you....seems you've landed in the best place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great bed!

    (And that story about the raft cracks me up - I have an incredible image in my head of the whole thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Abby... Sweetie !!! YOU have the bestest mom in the entire UNIVERSE.. THAT bed is HOOOOOOOGE... and just Looking at it, I can tell how SOFT and Comfy it is. Just watch it like a HAWK... or you just May find a PEEP using it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great bed to chillax on and eat cheese! Abby, you are living large! Not as large as a life raft but still large!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahah it's amazing what can happen even when we never touched "anything" :o) I love your dog bed... it looks super comfy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abby, I think Frankie is right about maybe finding a peep in your bed. Sometimes I would curl up next to Melanie in her bed, which was only dachshund sized. A big comfy bed like yours could be very tempting, especially if you like to share & snuggle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And we LOVE your blog! Thank you for coming by to introduce yourselves and to leave kind words about Anya's loss and Benson's illness. We appreciate all of the wonderful two- and four-legged folks who believe in POTP. Siku Marie, Queen of the White Dog Army

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on Abby the Senior rescue Lab,who we adopted in 2014.

Stop in and say hello. 100% of book sales are donated to animal rescue organizations across the U.S. and Canada and Search Dog Foundation. If you have a non-profit animal organization and would like autographed copies of any of my three books for auction fundraisers or a blog post featuring your organization please contact me at cliodna58@gmail.com