Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Astro's Bark Day - Loafing and Meat Loaf

Today go on over to


and wish him a happy Sixth Bark Day!

He's having a cake deprived day of relaxation and fun!

We are so happy to have gotten to know him and his Mom this last year.  They live a few hours north of where I grew up.  I shared my family meatloaf recipe (on the blog back in June of 2017) with her and it was a huge hit, and Astro's Dad asks for it weekly.

Well, last week, I experimented and made a different meatloaf and my husband raved about it.

Pinwheel Meatloaf

1  to 1 and 1/4 pound ground sirloin (the lowest fat of the ground beef)
1/2 cup of Rice Chex, measured out and then crushed in a sandwich bag.
1/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoning (Mrs. Dash is what I used)
a shake of crushed red pepper
a little more than 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
a splash of milk (about 2-3 Tablespoons)
1 large egg (if using smaller egg add another Tablespoon of milk)

Mix just until combined and on a baking tray sprayed with a little non stick spray, pat out into a square that's about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick.

Sprinkle with 3/4  to 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, an even thin layer that does not go all the way to the edge.

Then gently roll up the meat so you have a pinwheel cheesy thing going on.

Place in crockpot and cover top only with jarred basil pasta sauce.  Cook until inside temp is 160 F. (in my crockpot on low about 4 hours.)

An hour before done remove lid and add another handful of cheese to the top.  Serve with some shredded basil if you like and extra heated pasta sauce.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds really good!!! Hmmm, maybe Astro's Mom needs to make that and give him some for his birthday cake instead of that cheese bowl and biscuit:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sweet Birthday Wish's.
    OMD another yummy recipe to try on my dad,
    I bet he gives it a big A+. Most of all I
    hope he gives me a bite too.
    xo Astro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought about cooking a meat loaf in a slow cooker!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slow cooker works great. I do the first 15-30 minutes on high, then put it on low and walk away. If using your regular meatloaf recipe slightly less liquid in it as it doesn't dry out as easily as oven cooked meatloaf.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I like the idea of a pinwheel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is a super idea for a birthday menu... I maybe can make that for Neilsons first barkday... oh to have my paws in that tasty meat ... even the imagination is tasty ;O)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley and the Blogville dog blogging community. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on our Lab Rescues that have joined our household since Barkley left us.

Stop in and say hello. However, comments from strangers offering business links will NOT be posted. I