Saturday, May 11, 2019

New Treat on the Block

I think I'll pass on your vegetarian baked beans on toast Mom.

Abby Lab here - Mom eats meat only a few meals a week.  She tried strict vegetation for a while, but with low blood sugar, she didn't feel really good on a high carb diet and she can't eat soy so that limits her somewhat. So she balances small portions of locally raised meats and game with lots of fruits and veggies, raw almonds and smoothies and occasional oats and homemade sourdough bread.  (OK, and she does have a couple of "cheat meals" on the weekend where sugar is our friend).

But with a sensitivity to grain, and being a canine, I need meat, not grain in my diet.  I've had really great luck with my Blue Buffalo Basic food, but when a friend of Mom offered to share another limited ingredient snackies, I was like "hey, sign me up!"

So Mom's friend gave her the remains of a bag of what he feeds his healthy sixteen-year-old retriever.  Orejen Brome Lake Duck treats, which, like all their treats,  are all single ingredient, meat based freeze-dried nibbles made out of lamb, bison, beef,  boar and duck.
Wow - those were some tasty treats.  I actually woofed to get a second one as she was putting them in a zip-lock baggie and Mom says I hardly EVER bark.

So Mom got on the computer and ordered some from our friends at www.chewy.com (and the prices for the treats were lower than the pet store!)

She ordered another bag of the Brome Lake Duck ones, which are made by flash freezing, using no preservatives or cooking so I'm getting a raw, protein-packed little nugget of tastiness. They don't outsource any of their food preparation, making everything there right in their own kitchens.
Treat - twelve o-clock, slow moving.
Traffic's in Sight! We have a lock on.
I'll just sit here and wait for the Chewy guy to show up with my own bag.
Abby Lab

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Those look like fantastic treats--enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loves that brand! I have never tasted the quacker flavor befores though. I do loves freeze dried treaties! I'll get Ma to puts this on my 'list' !
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥
    pees: your Moms has more will power than my Ma!! BOL (sugar is her 'friend' everyday! though she SAYS she is tryin' to cut way back....☺)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa...those do look pretty pawsome. We may need to add those to our autoship order! Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley and the Blogville dog blogging community. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on our Lab Rescues that have joined our household since Barkley left us.

Stop in and say hello. However, comments from strangers offering business links will NOT be posted. I