Monday, September 3, 2018

Lather, Rinse, Don't Repeat

Monday.  It might be an actual Monday - or it can be any day of the week that you start back into work or a big house project.

This particular story began with a long week.  I can't say I was a walking biohazard, but I definitely needed a shower after being out in the field and my water was turned off while I had some plumbing work done at my old house.

I'd stopped to pick up Barkley at a male work partners house where he was staying during the plumbing work (this was before I had met my husband and I didn't know a lot of people in the area). Barkley loved playing with his dog, and there was a fenced yard and doggie door so the two of them had a grand time when I needed a short notice dog sitter on the weekends and I made sure there were treats for EVERYONE when I returned.
On this particular day though, I was hot and tired, and it looked like water was not going to be in my future until the next day.  So I asked my friend if I could pop into his guest bath and get a shower.

I've been in the man's bathroom before, not as girlfriend material, but as his back up at work for many years. We were colleagues but we were also friends, helping each other out over the years through dogs, kids, bad dates and house repairs, so I didn't mind asking.  I can find what I need. I think. OK - shampoo. Everyone has shampoo, right?
O

Oh, there it is, in the shower stall.  It's utilitarian. It's efficient. The stuff you can soap, shower and clean an engine block with.  It smells like someone just cut down a tree - with nothing but testosterone, a pocket knife and some muscles. Unfortunately, it's the kind of shampoo made for guys that work really hard and have a military haircut. My hair is long, down my back and it's fine. There's a ton of it, but it's fine as frog's hair and shampoo like that will have it a snarled mess. Hmmm.

Maybe there's something else under the sink, left by a girlfriend or something. Ah AH. There under the sink. A big girly looking white bottle that said "extra conditioning shampoo". It smells all tropical. Yes! So I ignored the "Lava Soap For Your Head" shampoo in the shower stall, grabbed it and showered up. It smelled wonderful, and my hair was really soft after. I even used the blow drier to get all the curls out and make it all smooth.
I'm all dressed and my partner walks down the hall as I exit the bath, laughing as he looks into the bathroom.  "So", he says. Why did you use the dog shampoo???

Well - my hair looked great, but I had a sudden urge to go chase a squirrel.

13 comments:

  1. BOL! I bet your peep fur was soft. I recommend chasing rabbits instead...they don't climb. Hi Abby! I'm Scooter and I live in Sarge's house. So nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scooter - You have a fine family indeed if you live with Sarge's Mom and Dad.

      Delete
  2. BOL - that's the best story we have heard in a long time - see, we pups do serve some very useful purposes.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than the lava shampoo! And yes, your hair did look great. (So, was his dog a girl, LOL?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes "G-dog" was a girl and she and Barkley had lots of adventures. When I was showing my house to sell to downsize, she was there every weekend.

      Delete
  4. You may be on to something. Dogs always have the best shampoos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my father had this idea too... he was deep impressed and flea free the whole summer LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. BOL! Hey, it worked, didn't it?! Momma says she used to use "Mane & Tail Conditioner" for horses to help her hair.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley and the Blogville dog blogging community. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on our Lab Rescues that have joined our household since Barkley left us.

Stop in and say hello. However, comments from strangers offering business links will NOT be posted. I