Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Who Knew Dogs Could Tell Time


On days that I have a hearing of Polycom or otherwise work away from home, Abby has a professional dog walker/sitter that takes her out at least once during the day.  She's a retired postal carrier and loves walking Abby and a couple other dogs each work day. Abby just LOVES her and will wait patiently for her to show up at the back door.  But she also waits patiently on the days I telework each month, thinking she'll get another visit from her friend. in addition to my taking her out for play in the yard on my lunch break. She starts the watch at EXACTLY the same time every day, about 10 minutes before her walker normally arrives.

Mom, it's 11:30, she should be here by now. I'm getting worried.
I'm beginning to think something is wrong.  Dad's gone, you did schedule the dog walker didn't you?
Seriously Mom - I'm beginning to think you shorted me here. You only play with me 15 minutes on days you have to work cuz you only get a 30-minute lunch.  J. walks me at least 30 minutes or takes me out to potty then plays with my stuffies with me in the house when it's really too cold out for my paws. AND she gives me more treats than you do.
Dad walking me before and AFTER work doesn't count Mom.  I am building up a walk deficit as we speak!  I want my attorney!
 Harummph!
I'll just sit here until you can take me out for 3 nanoseconds on your next break.

14 comments:

  1. Lucky girl. My two tell time about food and when the Man should be home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course we can tell time. We let Mom know every night when it is 5:00 - that's when WE want our dinner!!! And then that last potty time at 9:15 - we know when it is bedtime treat time. And don't forget 7:00 at night when Dad gets his strawberries and blueberries and we get to share!!!

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dougie Dog has a perfectly operating inner clock, and it works even on those two days a year when the time changes. No matter where he may be in the house (having several sleep spots) promptly at 6:15 a.m. he searches for any human who will provide breakfast. If none are awake, he will wake one! He is equally precise for dinner ... for outdoor potty time, outdoor play time ... that clock rules him. We can turn off "Alexa" I think ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walter is our alarm clock for many events every day. He knows when we eat our lunch, when they eat their second meal, when we eat dinner about an hour after their meal, the 8pm potty break and the last call. Millie on the other hand doesn't care when things happen and would sleep through everything if Walter didn't keep us on schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMD, you poor deprived pup!! I can't believes she neglects you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know cats can tell time, almost to the minute. So can possums...it's a rare night when the current possum fails to come in for the night, thumping the wall, at 3 a.m. (Its name is Buttercream. It's the first possum I've seen who was yellow rather than pale gray all over; reddish, black, or spotted fur is possible but rare in possums.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better than a fine Swiss watch dogs are. ⏱

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Yes! I, Mabel even knows when it is Monday - the night we go to class. And Sunday evenings I will start watching for my cousin Willow who comes over to play while the peeps watch the Walking Dead. And they both know when dinner time is getting close
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, dogs all have internal clocks, and Abby's seems finely tuned. Besides the normal breakfast and supper clock, Lexi had one for GTM (Get the Mail) and other routines my hubby did with her when he was working from home. Dogs are just pretty amazing all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course. We doggies like to keep to a routine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny how they know what time it is.
    Astro and Mitzie know what time jeff
    comes home, & sit by the treat jar
    after potty break too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what special senses dogs have... I often wonder how they know when Mark or me are coming home... or is it just our damaged exhaust pipe that they will hear the roaring of the elephant skate from far away?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andis Provide the dog hair trimmer india proudly made in USA products. They manufacture genuine quality high precision pet grooming products like Trimmer, nail clipper, deshedding and dematting tool.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley and the Blogville dog blogging community. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on our Lab Rescues that have joined our household since Barkley left us.

Stop in and say hello. However, comments from strangers offering business links will NOT be posted. I