Thursday, January 17, 2019

You Had Me At Bacon

I have survived the pre and post-holiday sales, the pre-Valentine's sales, not finding any "furlough sales".  But I have been busy, not writing on book #5, as the muse went south with my paycheck.  But I'm taking care of an elderly lady from our congregation several days a week.  She fell, not badly injuring herself, but leaving her bruised and a little wobbly.  Home health care is expensive, so she has a nurse for overnight, but needs some company during the day so myself and a couple other ladies from the Bell Choir volunteered to keep her company until she healed and felt stronger and used to a walker in the home.

Tonight I'm home, another lady is covering and I really didn't want a supper I had to fuss over as my husband is working late and then making an Aldi stop before the big storm this weekend (for milk, emergency dog yogurt, and white wine).   I thought I'd make one of Angel Barkley's favorite treats.  He didn't get maple syrup but sausage was usually involved.



WELL OK, IF YOU INSIST.

I'm not sure how "French Toast" got its name as it's been around since the Middle Ages in a whole lot of places other than France (who call it "Pain Perdu").  Day old bread dipped in egg and milk and fried is something that translates to Yum" in any language.  In Norway, where my Grandfather  Gullikson is from, it is called  “Arme Riddere”. This translates to “Poor Knights” and it is often topped with a bit of sugar and cinnamon before frying and then topped with fresh jam. It's also sometimes made with savory ingredients, such as ham or cheese, whatever is on hand.  This makes it a dish the  Norwegians would refer to as “restemat”, Norwegian for ‘leftovers’.

And I have leftover bacon!
Arme Riddere (French Toast) Panini.  Using what little bits I had on hand in the fridge, I smeared some sourdough bakery bread that was getting dry, with a Tablespoon or two of low-fat Neufchatal Cheese (low fat cream cheese) and then smeared with a thin layer of Golden Shred orange marmalade picked up in the UK. Then I topped that with some freshly cooked thick cut bacon. Perfect!  It was then dipped on each side in an egg whisked up with a little milk and then popped into the chicken grill/panini contraption and baked until it's golden and toasty.  Norway Meets Italy!!
I drizzled it with just a bit of maple syrup and ate it like a sandwich.  Sweet and savory, creamy inside with just the right bit of crunch outside, it was the perfect little supper.

11 comments:

  1. Hari om
    ...it's the midle of thd nighf and now am lusting after eggy bread!!! How long till brekky...? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it with some decaf English Breakfast tea. A very satisfying supper.

      Delete
  2. You now have succeeded in making us all drool, even Mom. So did Abby get a tast?

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby got some bacon - she can't digest grains. I know better than to give her even a little piece of bread. Otherwise she can clear the room out with gastric distress pretty quickly.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh. Was not hungry when we first stopped by here.
    Now we are ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Momma says she'd like one, and I'd like all the bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that looks amazing and I'm a vegetarian! We continue to hope and pray this shutdown gets resolved soon. This is ridiculous though your lady friend is probably very grateful for your company during the day). Good on ya for being there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I can smell the syrup way over here in Seattle.
    I literally may have to go sniff my bottle to get fix.
    Come see us at our blog we have a giveaway that Abby would love.

    ♥ Astro and Mitzie





    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice of you to help the little old lady. Hope she feels better soon.

    Memory is a funny thing. When ghostwriter first read "pain perdu" this is what popped into her head:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipdzxV_qD08

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley and the Blogville dog blogging community. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on our Lab Rescues that have joined our household since Barkley left us.

Stop in and say hello. However, comments from strangers offering business links will NOT be posted. I