Friday, November 3, 2023

Elderberry Gummies - Tasty Immune Support We All Enjoy


Every winter I get some elderberry gummies as elderberry is a natural way to boost the immune system. But they were getting EXPENSIVE.  I knew I could make my own, and I did with the help of the free tutorials from Farmhouse Teas (a homesteading family in Central Oregon).  I have been a customer for a long time, starting my kombucha making with their tutorials, and enjoying all the many teas they offer (my favorites are the High Desert Hibiscus Herbal Tea and the Herbal Sugar Makers Not Coffee(R) which I have on days I want the depth and richness of coffee without the acid and the caffeine.)


I got everything I need to make my first batch,  gummy molds, a dropper, cheesecloth for straining, and some very high quality grass fed gelatin (their instructions also include instructions for making this vegan with Agar Agar powder.)  There we SO easy to make, just mix some of the the elderberry mix with water, bring to a boil, let it simmer to reduce to about a cup, cool slightly, whisk in honey and gelatin, warm it for a few minutes on low to dissolve the gelatin and place in the silicon molds.  After 30 minutes in the fridge the bears just pop right out.
No corn syrup, no white sugar, no chemical ingredients, no dyes.  Healthy immune and anti-inflammatory goodness from elderberry.  Most elderberry syrups in very small amounts are not toxic to dogs and elderberry tinctures are reported to have anti-viral property so I personally give my dog a single gummy as a treat, but always CHECK WITH YOUR VET FIRST for ANY DIY nutritional supplement or treat.  

Elderberry Gummies
Ingredients:
2 1/3 cups of Water
8 Tablespoons Farmhouse Teas Dry Elderberry Syrup Mix (that's 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup Grass-fed Beef Gelatin (or Agar Agar Powder)
1/2 cup Raw Honey

Add the water and dry Elderberry Syrup Mix to a small pot on the stove. Bring water and
mix to a boil. Once the mix is boiling, turn the heat down to a light simmer and simmer the dry mix until the liquid is reduced in half. (on low this was 30 minutes for me). Strain the dry mix through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer into a clean container and let cool to room temperature. Check the syrup temperature with your thermometer and make sure that it is no warmer than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.  Add the raw honey and whisk to combine. Add the Grass-fed Beef Gelatin or Agar powder and whisk in evenly.

Place the pan back on the stove and heat on low just until the gelatin dissolved and then turn the heat off and remove from the stove. Remember not to get it too hot and keep the heat down away from boiling. It should only take a minute or so on low heat.

Using large droppers place the herbal elderberry syrup gelatin mix into your molds of choice. (I used 3 of them total, the first two pictured here.)

Place the molds in the refrigerator and let them chill for about 30 minutes or until firm. Remove the gummies from the molds and keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-14 days

My batch made about 7 dozen mini bears.

1 comment:

  1. That was pretty interesting. I never knew how any of those gummy things were made.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley and the Blogville dog blogging community. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on our Lab Rescues that have joined our household since Barkley left us.

Stop in and say hello. However, comments from strangers offering business links will NOT be posted. I