Thursday, June 22, 2017

Party Meatloaf - An Angel Barkley Memory

Hey, what's Mom making for dinner in there?

October  2013 - I reaI spent a weekend recently at the crash pad cleaning out some cupboards, which unearthed several old cookbooks of Mom's that Dad found and mailed, including some from soft bound 1960's vintage cookware company cookbooks.

Barkley - what do you think about Party Meatloaf?

In reviewing some of the recipes I realized that it's not the lack of exercise, super-sized sodas and lots of processed junk food that's making this generation fat.
Mmmm - look what's in it.

No, the reason the "Mad Men" generation were all svelte was recipes such as this.

From Mom's 1960's Nordic Ware Cookbook, which I first ran by my best friend on the phone, to which she replied "there is NOT enough bacon in the world for that recipe".

60's Party Meatloaf

3 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1 egg beaten
6 T. minced onion
salt and pepper
4 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons Horse-Radish
1 1/4 Tablespoon catsup.

Combine ingredients and pack firmly into a bundt pan and bake at 350 F. for 2 hours (isn't that how you make presto logs?)

Top with cinnamon apple rings, broiled peaches and onion rings.  (yes, you heard that right)
What do you think?

Well gee, Barkley,  if that doesn't spell party I don't know what does?

Good memory there, but I think I will definitely pass on trying the "party meatloaf".   Tonight, a recipe for meatloaf that's actually tasty. This is a slight variation of my standard meatloaf that Blogville's Noodles for President and Astro have both tried (Astro's Dad asks for it weekly).

My husband loves it as well but recently I was out of a couple of ingredients so I substituted bread crumbs for crushed Keebler crackers and did not add dry mustard to the sauce, zinging it up instead with a little extra sugar and Apple cider vinegar and a splash of coffee. I also added just a dab of butter and left out the half cup water I usually add for a thicker sauce that stuck to the meat better so not to burn on the bottom of the crockpot.  It was REALLY tasty sauce but I will put the original recipe in the comments for those that want Astro's Dad's favorite. My husband said he prefers the updated version though.

I served it with homemade macaroni salad and green beans with bacon.  (That sounds a LOT better than apple rings, broiled peaches, and onion rings :-)

Meatloaf

In a bowl mix:

1 to 1 and 1/4 pound ground sirloin (our butcher often doesn't have quite an exact pound)
1/2 cup  dry bread crumbs (if using 1 and 1/4 pound I add an extra Tablespoon)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion or celery, sauteed in a little olive oil first if you like
1 large egg
2 teaspoons ketchup (if using 1 and 1/4 pound meat use full Tablespoon)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (if using 1 and 1/4 pounds meat I use a full Tablespoon)
a splash of milk (mixture should be really moist, but no more than 3-4 Tablespoons)
1/2 generous teaspoon low sodium seasoning mix or a dash or two of table salt (I use Braggs 24 herb seasoning which is zero sodium and really flavorful - available at most health food stores)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Form into a loaf and place in crockpot.


About an hour before meatloaf is done (or make ahead) mix in a saucepan on low until butter melts:
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon strong coffee, (if coffee is not really strong use 1 full teaspoon).
3 Tablespoons sugar or honey
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar (I used Braggs)
1/2 teaspoon butter
a couple of drops of lemon juice

I cook the meatloaf 1 hour on high and 2 hours on low (crockpots do vary a bit in temp you want an internal temperature of 160 F (70 C) or you can do 350 F in the oven for 50 minutes. Add the sauce over the top about an hour before done in the crockpot and 15-20 minutes before done in the oven.

That looks better doesn't it Abby?


10 comments:

  1. Here's the basic meatloaf I feed my husband a couple of times a month. Everyone I've shared it with loves it:

    In a large bowl place about 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce,2 teaspoons of ketchup, a small handful of chopped onion (about 1/4 cup). an egg, and a small splash of milk (about a Tablespoon) and a shake of salt and pepper.

    Whisk to break apart egg.

    Add 1 to 1 and 1/4 pounds pound ground beef and 1/4 sleeve of Keebler crackers or Ritz crackers crushed in a sandwich baggie. Lightly mix with the egg and form into a loaf. I cook mine in the crockpot, an hour on high and two hours on low (be advised my crockpot seems to run extra hot compared to others).

    Or you can bake at 350 F. for 50 minutes to an hour (internal temp 160 degrees).

    About an hour before done in the crockpot or 15 minutes in the oven pour over the meatloaf the following mixed together:

    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 to 1/3 cup brown sugar (my husband prefers it less sweet so I use 1/4)
    1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
    1 teaspoon dry mustard powder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a meatloaf fan, but when I have made it for Sam (it is one of the few things I cook) I use a 1960s cookbook a great aunt gave me for a wedding shower gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually the peanut butter and horse radish sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one...peanut butter, really? must be more like a satay meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop the bus!!! Peanut butter??? If mom wasn't a vegetarian she would make that recipe!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peanut butter in meatloaf?!!? Don't mind if we do!
    Cammie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We still love your meatloaf.
    It's one of my dad favorite dinners.
    I get a bite sometimes. He doesn't
    like to share.
    XO Astro

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds realllllly good! Ma can't eats fresh onion or garlic, so she will substitute dried ~ and she likes that she can use celery instead too! okay, the PB is still a little weird....
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. my dad jumped with joy as he sa w this fabulous meatloaf... the mama promised him to make one with your recipe when my grandparents are there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who ever heard of putting peanut butter in meatloaf? We just put in onion soup mix, ketchup, and breadcrumbs. Super simple!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley and the Blogville dog blogging community. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on our Lab Rescues that have joined our household since Barkley left us.

Stop in and say hello. However, comments from strangers offering business links will NOT be posted. I