Sunday, September 10, 2017
A Little POTP for Abby Lab
She ate a whole package, including much of the paper.
I rushed her to the emergency vet (not our regular vet who is closed on Sunday but one 15 minutes away, something I researched when we first moved here) and they induced vomiting within 30 minutes of her eating the biscuits. But raisins can cause sudden renal failure, even if the dog vomits promptly.
The Dogtor looked at the vomit and said "she ate the wrapper too?", seemingly not surprised.
The first 48 hours are critical. So they are keeping her on an aggressive IV treatment to flush any toxins out of her body and promote healthy kidney function. Plus they are keeping a very close eye on her the next 24 hours (they have overnight vets on staff as they are open 24 hours.)
So any prayers for us are appreciated. She is the sweetest little dog and a great joy in our house after losing Barkley.
UPDATE #2: Abby had a "comfortable" night according to the Vet. They are doing a second round of blood work to make sure there are no underlying renal issues. I'm hoping she can come home tonight.
Final UPDATE: Abby is home after I got off work and tail is wagging. I've got her dog walker helping take her to the Vet tomorrow for one last blood screen (thank you Lou!) and that will be all that's required for follow up.