Saturday, March 21, 2015

Homecomings

I made it home after a week either on the road or at the crash pad near work. The kitchen floor that my husband started last week after putting in a whole new sub-floor was not done but it's getting there. The house has been rearranged a bit, the refrigerator being on the sun porch.

Abby was happy to see me.

Sure - she's all sweet and fuzzy and innocent, but just grab a Milkbone. . . .
The last thing a dog treat ever sees.

I brought a few more things up from Indy to add to the decor as we redo the kitchen. I loved the labs on this vintage sign.
There was the usual mail, but one wonderful surprise.  A beautiful etched pendant and a thank you note from  Lori-Anne at Rockin' LJ Wildlife Rescue and Esquine Sanctuary, in Tyrone, Oklahoma.  For over 12 years she's taken care of animals in need, including a number of blind horses.  TBOB sent a little check for some hay and her note just made my day. Thanks Lori-Anne! Consider a donation, it costs close to $1500 a week to feed the animals and much of it comes from her own pocket as well as earnings from her beautiful jewelry. Her auction page for her jewelry is on Facebook - enter in the Facebook search engine -
Rockin LJ Blind Equine Sanctuary benefit and auction page


We did take a break from chores to get into the Heidi Pops Toffee Popcorn (I got that and the cheesy jalapeno pretzel flavored) as I got badly trounced in dominoes. I might as well have put almost all of my fleet in dry dock and played Sequestration Battleship.
Then it was back to work.

The house looked like a testosterone bomb had gone off.  I'd left meals for each night, ready to nuke, but there were glasses all over the house, some leather-working stuff laying around, zillions of tools, and a pile of laundry that had its own base camp.

But my husband not only put in 8-11 hour days at work (he's a mechanical engineer)--he worked on the floor until late each night,.
And from the blanket I pulled off of the sofa - I think he just laid down there and fell asleep, never making it to bed, probably waking when it got light.
I realize how lucky I am.  Sure we could have paid someone to build a new subfloor and prep and lay the tiles, but I'd rather have that money in the bank for the future, and to help others when we can.

OK - so still no stove in the kitchen
 That's what a barbecue is for.  We've got burgers and fresh/frozen corn and ice cold beer.
Tired, full, and grateful for the weekend. - 
The Johnson Family

1 comment:

  1. Your home seems very warm and inviting. Love the pic of the 3 windows! Time to relax a bit!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Book of Barkley and the Blogville dog blogging community. This blog was created for more memories of Barkley as well as updates on our Lab Rescues that have joined our household since Barkley left us.

Stop in and say hello. However, comments from strangers offering business links will NOT be posted. I